Saturday, March 10, 2012

Street Food


I have a slight fascination with street food in Korea. I don't know if it's because we don't really have anything like that back home (maybe hot dog stands are the closest thing?)... but I am seriously in love with it. Everything (or almost everything) smells so good when you're passing by the stands. Last night, Daniel and I decided to go to leave our little area of Sunae and check out the next neighborhood down, Seohyeon. We walked around and noticed that most of the vendors had a lot of the same food, so we decided to try a little bit of everything and people watch


... Starting with μ˜€λŽ… (odeng... pronounced "oh dang!" according to Daniel, haha)!  This might look gross, but it's actually just fishcake! It's drenched in a spicy broth of... well, I don't really know.  My guess is gochujang?  Anyway, you get a skewer of fish cake and a cup of broth/soup (not the spicy one, just a clean, fresh tasting one).  It was delicious.  Not too spicy either.  :)


Daniel decided to try out a "hot dog" vendor.  It didn't taste much like a hot dog, but the sausage itself was pretty delicious!  Of course, it had a kick (they really love spicy food here!).  :P  Then I wanted to try νŠ€κΉ€ (twigim), aka vegetable tempura!





It was so good...  Probably the most oily thing that I've eaten in Korea so far just because it was deep fried.  A lot of food here has less oil/msg than back at home, haha.  So in a way, this was a delicious fix for unhealthy cravings.  x)  Anyway, I cannot wait to try different types of street food while I'm here.  :)

1 comment:

  1. heeee fishcakes!!!! i think i lawayed a little x]

    be safe in korea and eat food for me :]

    <3/nose

    ReplyDelete